INF111 Information Systems Theory
Review for Second Quiz
- What are the three categories of equipment that Chapter 3 says you
will find in the system unit?
- What is the difference between something that is analog and somthing
that is digital?
- What is a binary digit?
- What are the four basic functions of a computer?
- What kind of computers usuallly use ASCII coding? What kind of computers
usually use EBCDIC coding?
- Why is Unicode a better coding system for an international company
than either ASCII or EBCDIC?
- Assume I am sending the following byte to another computer: 11000010.
If I am using even parity, what will the parity bit be set to?
What if I am using odd parity?
- What are the meanings of the following terms:
- Would a computer that uses parallel processing be faster or
slower than anther computer that does not? (Assume that there are no
- If you look at a decimal number, like 123, what is the value of each
digit? Why is the value related to the value of its position in the
- What is the name of the number system based on the number 2? What
is the name of the number system based on the number sixteen?
- What is the basic crystal element that computer chips are made of?
- How is inputting data different from inputting a program?
- What two purposes are the keys on a numeric keypad meant to
be used for?
- What are the three "lock keys" on a keyboard? What are two ways
to override their function once they are locked?
- What is the difference between a mouse and a trackball?
- What is the difference between a pointing stick and a joystick?
- What kind of monitor is actually an input device?
- Regarding Optical Recognition...
- what is an optical code?
- what are optical marks?
- what is optical character recognition?
- What is MICR? What kind of businesses use it?
- What an example of a smart terminal? How does a smart terminal differ
from a dumb terminal?
- In a standard business setting, who might be an audience for
- an internal report
- an external report
- a detail report
- a summary report
- an exception report
- What word is applied to a computer monitor that can only display
green on black images?
- What is a CRT?
- What are two kinds of LCD screens found on laptops?
- What are three common resolutions that an SVGA monitor can produce?
- What is the difference between an impact printer and a non-impact