CAP 201a - Computer Animation I
Review for First Test
The following questions are provided to help you study for the first test. Do not expect to see these exact questions on the test.
- When 3DS Max starts up, what are the default views shown in the four viewports?
- Assume the Front viewport is currently active. What should you do to select the Left viewport?
- To make a new object in 3DS Max, which of the six main control panel tabs should be selected?
- To change the properties of an object in 3DS Max, which of the six main control panel tabs should be selected?
- Assume you want to change a property for an object. Its current value is 20, and you want the value to be 55. What are three ways to change this value on a field with a spinner control?
- 3DS Max does not put text labels on toolbar buttons. How can you tell what a button is for, without looking it up in the textbook or the help system?
- What is the keyboard button to switch between wireframe and smooth views of your scene?
- For each of the following views, where is a new object actually created when you drag your mouse to create it in that view?
- What do you click in a viewport to change that port to a different view?
- How do you select an object in a scene?
- How do you region select several objects in a scene?
- What happens when you drag an object while holding a shift key down?
- The Material Editor lets you easily work with several materials at once. Name two ways to apply a material to an object.
- Draw the icons for the Select button and the Select and Move button on the toolbar.
- What does the icon on the Quick Render button look like? Where is this button located?
- What is the purpose of the Auto Key mode?
- What are some of the options you get with the Render Scene button
that you do not get with the Quick Render button?
- When saving a scene file, what is the default file extension used by 3DS Max 9?
- What does the Plus button do in the Save As dialog box? What effect does it have on a file that has no number in its name?
- If you wanted to create an image that would scale well without blurring, would you want a raster image or a vector image?
- According to the text, what is the frame rate used for movies? What frame rate is used for NTSC television? What frame rate is used for PAL television?
- What is a numeric ratio that describes the aspect ratio for a standard television or monitor? What is a commonly used ratio that describes the aspect ratio for a widescreen TV or monitor?
- Assume you have connected two objects in a scene in a parent/child hierarchy. Which one can you move that will cause the other to move as well?
- What are the three kinds of clones that you can make from a Clone Options dialog box?
- Assume you have added an Edit Mesh modifier to an object. What is the advantage to doing this as opposed to converting the object to an Editable Mesh?
- Assume you are working with an Editable Mesh. What are three kinds of sub-objects you will have access to? Describe them in terms of each other.
- In what order is a modifier stack evaluated by 3DS Max?
- What is a selection set?
- One of the interesting concepts from chapter 4 was Extrude Along Spline. What can this effect do for you?
- The rotate tool and the arc-rotate tool have similar functions, but they are different in a major way. What is it?
- In the project that had you create a knob for a chest, what did you create first? What modifier turned the first object into the knob?
- In the second part of the lesson on hierarchy, you saw rotation passed down a hierarchy in a bad way. What kind of object did you create to act like a shock absorber for the bad rotation?