CAP 201a - Computer Animation I
Review for Second Test
The following questions are provided to help you study for the test.
Do not expect to see these exact questions on the test.
- When saving a scene file, what is the default file extension used
by 3DS Max 9?
- What does the Plus button do in the Save As dialog box? What effect
does it have on a file that has no number in its name?
- Assume you have opened a file from last week and made changes. You
use the Hold command and make more changes.
What changes will be on your screen if you use the Reset command?
What changes will be on your screen if you use the Fetch command instead?
What changes will be on your screen if you open the file from last week?
- What command allows you to import elements from another scene file
into your working file?
- What command lets you save specific objects from the current file
in a new file?
- Which menu is the Units Setup choice on?
- Which setting is used to control the heavy grid lines?
- The text gives you a useful mnemonic:
RGB=XYZ. What does this mnemonic mean?
- What is the base plane for a view? How is it defined by an axis in
- Assume a cylinder has 20 sides and 4 height segments. How many polygons
does it have? How can you reduce the polygon count without making it
- Where do you find the options to Hide or Freeze an object?
- What does the Isolation mode do for you?
- When you create a new Selection Set, which drop down do you use?
What must you do after typing the new set's name?
- Can you select items independently that are members of a Selection
Set? Can you select items independently that are members of a Group?
- How does creating a Group affect the number of objects in the Select
Objects dialog box?
- What happens when you right-click the Select and Move button?
- What is a transform gizmo?
- What happens when you stretch an object on its x-axis with Select
and Uniform scale?
What happens when you stretch an object on its x-axis with Select and
What happens when you stretch an object on its x-axis with Scale and
- What is a transform base point? Of what use is it in scaling?
- What is the purpose of the Pick Coordinate system?
- When using the Align button, what is the click order for the Align
button, the source, and the target?
- Assume you have made a copy of an object. How does
changing the original affect the copy? How does changing the copy affect
- Assume you have made an instance of an object. How
does changing the original affect the instance? How does changing the
instance affect the original?
- Assume you have made a reference of an object. How
does changing the original affect the reference? How does changing the
reference affect the original?
- You can use the Make Unique command to make a replica independent.
Which of the three replica types above is this never
- In what order are modifers applied in the modifier stack?
- What must you do to enable the Show End Result button for a modifier
- What happens if you drag a modifier from one object's stack and drop
it on another object? What happens if you ctrl-drag the modifier and
drop it on the other object?
- If two modifiers have been added to an object, and they are in the
wrong order, what can you do to fix that?
- What are the five base types listed in Lesson 5? Which two do our
- What does collapsing the stack mean for an object? What do we lose
if we do this?