CAP 211 - Interactive Design and Game Development
Review for First Test
The following questions are provided to help you study for the first test. Do not expect to see these exact questions on the test.
- What does Mr. Schell mean when he says a game designer's goal is to give th player an experience?
- What are the five entities that Mr. Schell tells us we must listen to in the first chapter of his book?
- Explain how you would use the advice to "analyze memories" with respect to analyzing a new computer/console game.
- Explain how you would use the advice to "sneak glances" with respect to analyzing a new computer/console game.
- What is endogenous meaning with respect to a game? Give an example in your answer.
- Name the 4 elements of Schell's elemental tetrad.
- Explain what Schell means when he says that the game must have a theme.
- Analyze a game with the Lens of the Problem Statement
- What are the problems (game objectives) that the game must solve?
- What is the true purpose of the game? (Our problem is to achieve that purpose.)
- Are we designing a solution to the problem, or are we wasting our time?
- Can the game be a solution to the problem?
- How can we tell if the problem has been resolved?
- Assume you are working on a game design assignment with three other students. Explain how you would apply three of Schell's brainstorming ideas to a work session.
- What is iteration in terms of game design?
- What is the difference between risk evaluation and risk mitigation?
- What are game prototypes for? Why should a prototype answer a single design question?
- What is the basic difference between a game and a toy? By this definition, can you think of an example of something you thought was one, and was really the other?
- What are the six components of the Unreal Engine listed in the first chapter of the Unreal text?
- Diagram the game loop from chapter 1 of the Unreal text, and explain why Unreal is an event driven system.
- What is contained in a map file for the Unreal Editor?
What is contained in a package file for the Unreal Editor?
- Explain the difference between a static mesh and a skeletal mesh in Unreal.
- Why is it recommended to use instances of static meshes in an Unreal level?
- What is a story treatment? What is missing from the one in the text?
- List five elements that should be addressed in a game's design documentation.
- How do you start the Unreal Editor?
- Compare the Unreal Editor interface to 3DS Max.
- What is the difference between seeing an Unreal Editor viewport in Lit and Unlit mode?
- What is the browser for in the Unreal Editor?
- What kinds of objects does the Unreal Editor call actors?
- What are the four prefixes used for Unreal level files in the text, and what is the meaning of each?
- What is the Kismet editor for in the Unreal Editor?