CIS 251 - System Development Methods
Review for Second Test
The following questions are provided to help you study for the second test. Do not expect to see these exact questions on the test.
- When we ask a prospective system user about the expected outputs, what kind of information about the system are we asking the user to provide?
- How is system security a topic for business requirements?
- JAD and RAD teams can be very similar. What did the text say was the difference between the goals of a JAD group and a RAD group?
- What familiar business chart would a Functional Decomposition Diagram be likely to resemble?
- What is the purpose of a swim lane chart? What should be arrayed on the vertical axis of the chart?
- Which kind of chart did chapter 4 describe as being like a programmer's flow chart? What is this kind of chart supposed to show us?
- Sometimes systems are replaced because they are not scalable. Name two ways in which a system we are analyzing might earn a rating of "not scalable".
- Explain the difference between tangible and intangible costs.
- What is the difference between development costs and operational costs of a project?
- When talking to people to gather information, why should you avoid asking leading questions? What is the statistical advantage to asking range-of-response questions?
- Before conducting interviews with potential system users, why should you try to get their management to announce your interviews?
- Draw the four symbols used for processes, entities, data flows, and data stores in the Gane-Sarson style of DFDs.
- Draw the four symbols used for processes, entities, data flows, and data stores in the Yourdon-Demarco style of DFDs.
- Why does the text say we can treat the processes in a DFD as black boxes?
- Describe the DFD error called a black hole.
- Describe the DFD error called a gray hole.
- Describe the DFD error called spontaneous generation.
- What kind symbols on a DFD are entity symbols allowed to connect to?
- What kind symbols on a DFD are allowed to connect to symbols of the same type?
- What is a context diagram DFD?
- The text described the three classic structures used in writing programs. What are their names, and what do they do?
- What are two ways that an XY chart might appear? What does the word "correlation" have to do with an XY chart?
- Explain the words class, object, and method, in terms of Object Oriented analysis.
- How can a class be a member of another class? How does the principle of inheritance apply to a case like that?
- What is the meaning of polymorphism in the context of chapter 6?
- Explain subclasses and superclasses with an example of your own.
- What is the difference between in-house development and contracted development of an IT system?
- What are some factors that would lead to a decision to outsource an IT service? What factors might lead us to choose not to outsource a service?
- What is an advantage to buying an over-the-counter system?
- Explain the difference between a logical system design and a physical system design.