CIS 421b: Database Administration I
Review for First Quiz
- What are the basic components of an Oracle 9i database?
- Which component is used for communication with the database on a standard
- Which component provides a communication path to the database over
an Internet connection?
- Which component is the console that provides access to most management
- Which component contains wizards to help manage the database?
- What is an instance? Explain the three variations of Oracle servers
in terms of instances.
- What is a user process?
- What is a server process?
- What is the difference between a dedicated server and a multi-threaded
- What are the two kinds of client installations for Oracle 9i?
- What are the three kinds of server installations available for Oracle
- What is the meaning of the label ORACLE_BASE?
- What is the meaning of hte label ORACLE_HOME?
- What is Optimal Flexible Architecture? Why does Oracle recommend it?
- What are the three file extensions defined in OFA, and what kinds
of files use them?
- What are the two main methods of opening an using an Oracle management
- What is the command line syntax for changing a user's password?
- What is the name of the standard Oracle control file?
- What is an Oracle Listener?
- If you do not need to provide a service name when logging on to a
database service, what must be true about the location of the database?
What protocol is used by default for such a connection?
- What editor is recommended to manually edit a control file on Windows
- What Oracle process will exist in shared server environment that does
not exist in a dedicated server environment?
- What is an SGA? What is a PGA? How many of each might you have on
- What process writes data to redo log files?
- What process writes data to data files?
- What process writes data to archive files?
- What are the four main features of Oracle Enterprise Manager, and
what is each good for?
- What does Oracle state as the minimum amount of RAM to run its software?
- What are the two variations of storage space associated with ORACLE_HOME?
- In Oracle 9i, what are the default login IDs with rights to manage
- What are the two kinds of security that might be used to allow DBAs
to connect to the Oracle database?
- What is the major difference between implementing User Managed Files
and Oracle Managed Files?
- What is the likely name of an Oracle initialization file? How many
parameters does the text suggest will be in it?
- Parameters in an initialization file come in five types. What are
- What parameter holds the name of your database? What is the character
limit on this name?
- When you manually shut down a database, you can use three different
modifiers to the command. What are they, and what is the difference
- Data dictionary views come in two types. What are the three static
types? What do they allow you to see? What are the two dynamic types?
What is the main difference between them?
- Why should control files be multiplexed? How to you enable multiplexing?