ITS 311: Technical Communications
Review for Second Test
- What is currently the most popularly used visual aid?
- What three things are shared during a video conference?
- What are transparencies?
- What are some benefits of brainstorming?
- What are some guidelines for writing a rough draft?
- Why should you provide documentation with your piece of writing?
- What are the four elements for a successful submission and/or publication?
- What is a query letter?
- The central idea that focuses the purpose of your paper is called
- What are the two types of outline format?
- Which of these are NOT a negative letter?
b. Collection letters
c. Negative response letters
- Which of these is the most secure type of communication?
- Which of these are the most widely adopted letter formats (pick two)?
b. Full Block
c. Right Block
d. Modified Block
- Name three types of visual aids that are good with small audiences?
Give a brief example of what is in a positive letter?
What are three of the "donts" of E-mail etiquette?
- In what order can periodical reports be presented?
- In what ways can incident reports be beneficial?
- What should be included in a field report?
- Name four types of visual aids listed in the book?
- What is a opaque projector?
- Why might you do a videotaped employment interview?
- How long should your script of your job presentation be?
- What is the problem with most presentation methods suggested in chapter
- What is the main economic benefit of video conferencing?
- What ethical issue is involved in both written work for a document
and artwork used in a presentation?
(Give the term or describe the concept.)
- When using multiple posters, what should be done to preserve continuity
from one poster to the next?
- What does the text tell us is the most common kind of technical writing?
- Order these levels of alerts as the text does, in order of increasing
impact: Cautions, Danger Statements, Notes, Precautions, and Warnings.
- Reword these steps using parallel construction:
- Remove the access panel.
- Remove the retaining screws.
- The fuser may now be removed.
- Why is chronological order preferred for instructions?
- How is a process analysis different from instructions? Which might
be developed from the other?
- What kinds of documents, already discussed, are usually included in
- Why does writing a manual often require the writer to consult engineers
and equipment testers?
- Give an example of a product support item that may accompany a user
- The ______ distills the essential information from the parent document.
a. descriptive abstracts
b. informative abstracts
c. concluding summary
d. executive summary
- What four elements of a technical scientific paper must the writer
- List the parts of a letter, and give a description of those parts.