LUX 211 - Shell Programming
Review for First Test
The following questions are provided to help you study for
the first test. Do not expect to see these exact questions on the test.
- What do they mean when they say Linux is free, as in beer, as opposed
to free, as in speech? What's the difference?
- What are the two classic versions of UNIX?
- How is OSX related to Linux? Is it one kind of free, both kinds, or
- How do you get to a command line in Fedora in our classroom?
- How many arguments can we expect to be able to pass to a script, if
we call it on a command line?
- What are some of the key sequences you might try if you want to stop
or end a process running in the foreground?
- If you are not logged in as root, what are two methods you might use
to send a command with root permissions? What should you expect to need
to know to use either one?
- What does the man command do? How is it different from the --help
- What is the delimiting character in Linux with respect to pathnames?
- What are two methods to override the special nature of most special
- What is the difference between an absolute pathname and a relative
pathname? Which kind is the one that uses the tilde?
- What do the dot and double dot stand for in pathname notations?
- What makes a filename hidden in Linux? What can you do to see hidden
files in a directory listing?
- How do you tell what kind of file a file is by using an ls command?
- Most commands are run with your current set of permissions. How is
the passwd command an exception to this concept?
- How would you set the permissions for a script you create to mimic
the behavior of the passwd command?
- What do read, write, and execute permissions mean with regard to a
- What are the commands to read and write to the ACL of an object?
- How is using an ACL more granular than using just chmod to set the
permissions for a file?
- In a file system directory, what does a file listing link to?
- How are soft links and hard links similar and different?
- What is the simplest way to add your present working directory to
the PATH variable?
- What are the three standard data streams called?
- How is the > redirection character different from the | redirection
- What is a pipeline?
- When is a job number created? How can you see list of jobs?
- How can you send a process to the background when you call it?
- How is an ampersand at the end of a pipeline interpreted?
- What are the Boolean meanings of && and ||?
- How does Linux represent the concepts of true and false?
- Create a truth table for two expressions linked by an AND, then do
it for two expressions linked by an OR.
- What is the difference between a shell variable and an environment
variable? How can you make one into the other?
- How can you pass a variable to a script so that only the script knows
- How do you display the value of a variable? How do two kinds of quotation
marks affect it?
- What can you do when you declare a variable that you can't do without
- What else can you do with the declare command?