NET 101 - Networking Essentials I
Review for First Test
The following questions are provided to help you study for
the first test. Do not expect to see these exact questions on the test.
- Digital Literacy is defined in chapter 1. What are the four
components you are expected to have a current knowledge of?
computer is supposed to take _____________, perform some sort of
___________________, and produce _____________ . Fill in the blanks.
- What are basic differences between desktop, laptop, and
- How is a server different from other computers, in terms of
what it does?
- How is a smartphone different from a much cheaper phone
(aside from the price)?
- How many kinds of devices can you think of that can be used
to read an e-book? List them.
- List at least three kinds of devices that are used
primarily or only for input.
- What are three kinds of output devices?
are the concepts of memory and storage different? Which one is used
when running programs? Which is most needed when installing programs?
- List three kinds of storage media, and a reason you might
use each one instead of the others.
- How is a web page different from a web site?
- Name at least two social networking sites.
- Why is some software called malware?
- You decide to buy and install an anti-virus program. You do
so, and choose not to register it with the vendor. Why is this not
enough to protect your system?
- What is the basic range difference between Wi-Fi and
- What was the name of the Department of Defense unit that
created what became the Internet?
- How many educational institutions were first connected to
- Is it true that no one owns any part of the Internet?
Explain your answer.
- Which part of the Internet is probably the most used by
- To use the Internet, you must be connected to a network.
What are three methods listed in the text for making a wired connection
to an ISP?
- What is an ISP, and why do you need one?
- Which network connection technology is typically used by
customers in a restaurant or coffee shop?
- What are the ballpark values for the following terms,
expressed as a number of bytes?
kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte, terabyte
- How many bits are in a byte?
- How many bytes are used to hold an IP (version 4) address?
- If you are told that an address you are given is a class C
address, how many of its bytes are used to identify your network?
- I just opened a Command Prompt window and pinged
www.cnn.com. I received a reply from 220.127.116.11. What happened
between my request and the reply?
- What is a top level domain? Name at least 4 and state
what they are supposed to be used for.
- What is a cybersquatter?
- What might you find on a web page that would be an example
of a dynamic element?
- What does a URL contain that a domain name does not?
- What is another name for a URL?
- Does a URL use slashes or backslashes to mark a path
through several folders?
- Name three kinds of network communications in which you can
expect to know who your audience is. Name two kinds in which you may
have no idea who will read your communication.
- What is netiquette?
- What is an operating system for?
- Why do applications typically need to access the operating
- What is the difference between freeware and shareware?
- What would be the danger in downloading a retail program
from a site you have never heard of? How about if they are selling a
$5000 application for $50?
- How are web apps different from installed apps?
- What is often a difference between mobile apps and desktop
- Name three categories of user productivity software, and
give an example of a program that fits each category.
- Why should accounting software and legal software be
considered in a special category of software?
- 7Zip is a compression program. Why would you want one?
- Name some graphic program categories, and give examples of
programs that belong in those categories.
- What is a spyware scanner good for? How is spyware
different from a virus?
- What is the difference between broadband and baseband?
- Describe Unshielded Twisted Pair cable.
- What kind of connectors are typically used on UTP network
- What kind of connectors were typically used on thin net
- Fiber optic cable does not pass electrical signals. What
does it pass?
- What is EMI?