NET 121- Essentials of Networking
Questions for Chapters 6 and 7
- A bridge operates at what layer of the OSI model?
- What is a difference between a bridge and a switch?
- What is the difference between static and dynamic routers?
- What is an example of a Distance Vector protocol?
- What is an example of a Link State protocol?
- Why would Link State protocols be preferred over Distance Vector protocols?
- What is a routing table? What does a switch use that is like a routing table?
What is a hop?
- What is the maximum number of hops allowed for a route by routers using RIP?
- What is POTS? Why might you use it to connect to a network?
- What piece of hardware is traditionally used with POTS to connect to a network?
- What is the maximum data transmission rate allowed on a POTS connection?
- How is bandwidth different on a PRI ISDN connection, compared to a BRI ISDN connnection?
- What is the difference between symmetric and asymmetric connections to a network?
- What is RRAS?
- A server running RRAS must be configured with two kinds of protocols. Why? Give an example of each kind of protocol.
- The text lists several authentication protocols that can be used with RRAS. Which one is preferred over the others if we care about security?
- What are the transmission rates associated with T1 and T3 data lines?
- What American standard for fiber optic WAN connections is described in your text?
- What are the European and Japanese equivalents of T1 and T3 service?