NET 121- Essentials of Networking
Questions for Chapters 11 and 12
- What is a hosts file for?
- How do you put a documentation line in a hosts file?
- What would be in the first column of a data line in a hosts file?
What would be in the second column?
Must there be a third?
- How is an lmhosts file different from a hosts file?
- What is the name of the folder that a hosts file is usually found in?
- What does a DNS server do?
- What is a DNS resolver?
- Explain what a top-level DNS domain is, using two examples.
- How long can a domain name be?
How long can any label in it be?
- What is WINS?
Does WINS do the same thing as DNS?
- What is a firewall for in a network?
- What decisions does a packet filtering firewall make?
What aspect of the packet might the firewall look at to make its decision?
- What would make a server "dual-homed"?
- What makes a server "fortified"?
- Why do some network addressing schemes require you to use Network Address Translation?
- If a proxy server is providing NAT service, how many IP addresses should it have?