NET 222: Introduction to Routers and Routing
Review for First Test
- What is a PDU?
- What is the PDU called for each of these OSI model layers?
What fields are unique to Ethernet_II and IEEE 802.3 frames?
- What IEEE standards are the most commonly used for Wi-Fi? What are
the maximum data rates for the two most common standards?
- What are two definitions of segmentation used in chapter 1?
- What network devices decrease the number of collision domains? Which
devices increase the number of collision domains? Which is more desirable,
increasing or decreasing?
- What are some common reasons for installing a router inside a network?
- What OSI layer performs translation and encryption? Give an example
of each function.
- Assume a data message is being encapsulated. Is it passing up or down
the OSI model layers? At which layers does the text say encapsulation
take place? What kind of encapsulation happens at each layer?
- Name two reasons for using the OSI model.
- What benefits does a bridge provide to your network?
- How does the text explain the difference between the performance of
half-duplex and full-duplex sessions? What devices may be connected
- Which common network medium is the least expensive? Which offers the
best resistance to EMI? Which would you be most likely to see in a museum
or a very old network?
- What is the difference between wiring a straight-through cable and
a crossover cable? When would you use each one? How is a rolled cable
different? When would it be used?
- Which OSI layer provides acknowledgements and flow control? What are
three methods of implementing flow control?
- What is a MAC address? What OSI layer is it associated with? What does
one normally look like when written?
- Which part of a MAC address is the same for all products from a given
manufacturer? What is the acronym for this part of the address?
- What are three common causes of LAN congestion? What can you do about
- What is CSMA/CD? What happens when collisions occur?
- Convert the following binary number to decimal and hexadecimal: 11000011
- What are two protocols that can be used to provide an IP address to
a workstation when it is powered up? Which is more robust? Why?
- Which protocol transmits an IP address, to find out a MAC address?
Which protocol does the reverse?
- Write the layers of the OSI model, and number them. Write the layers
of the DoD model beside the OSI layers, showing the functional mappings
of the two models.
- What are the three classes of IP addresses commonly in use? Which class
provides the most host addresses per network? Which provides the least
host addresses per network?
- DHCP requests start as broadcast addresses. On what layer? What address
would they be sent to?
- Name three other protocols commonly partnered with TCP.
- Name three other protocols commonly partnered with UDP.
- What are some differences between TCP and UDP?
- Name three common application layer protocols.
- Why is UDP an inappropriate choice as a partner for some protocols?
Why is TCP sometimes an inappropriate choice?
- How can you tell the class of an IP network?
- What is the only protocol named in the text that uses both TCP and