Review for Third Test
The following questions are provided to help you study for
the third test. Do not expect to see these exact questions on the test.
- In the author's discussion about making choices, what are the last
two steps that some people leave out of the process? Why are they needed?
- What are some of the essential functions of a switch? Does a hub do
any of those functions?
- What are VLAN tags and why are they used?
- Compare and contrast Distance Vector and Link State protocols. Why
would or wouldn/t you choose Link State protocols over Distance Vector
- Name some Distance Vector protocols and some Link State protocols.
- Why is it necessary to find tradeoffs when creating a security strategy?
- What should be included in an accountability policy? In an access
- What are two ways to securely send a key to a remote device? What
kind of encryption is used?
- What are two types of network performance that you should monitor,
according to the text? What is the main difference between them?
- What are some examples of Physical Security?
- What is an advantage of using a full-mesh topology compared to a partial
mesh or star topology? What are some disadvantages?
- What is the difference between the operation of an implicit-allow
firewall and an implicit-deny firewall? How does it affect the adminstrator
who configures them?
- Which can be used with more security, File Transfer Protocol or Trivial
File Transfer Protocol?
- What does a stateful firewall do that others do not?
- What is a routing protocol you would not use in a netowrk for a multi-national
- What should we do regarding DNS service if we are concerned about
- What kind of servers in our network are probably most concerned with
PCI DSS rules?
- What is the disadvantage of a Static route when compared to Dynamic
- The text recommends several tools that use SNMP. What should we do
about known security issues with that protocol?
- What effect should we expect from constant performance measurement
on our network?
- What is accounting management used for besides billing?
- Why does the text recommend that we should not trust the results from
- Why is it a good idea to have more than one ISP for network traffic?
- What are the three layers in management architecture?
- Why might the management data transmitted by an in-band system be
different from that transmitted by an out-of-band system?