CAP 203 - Computer Animation III
Review for First Test
The following questions are provided to help you study for the first test. Do not expect to see these exact questions on the test.
- In the text's lesson on creating gears, we are cautioned to use gears with particular numbers of teeth. What is a good number of teeth, and why is it good?
- When making gear teeth, we used the Bevel command on polygons. What parameter for this command controls the height of each tooth, and what parameter controls the size of the polygon at the end of the tooth?
- As in the past, sometimes we have opened a 3DS Max start file for this text and some textures did not appear in the scene. This text showed us a new reason this can happen. What is it?
If you draw a spline in your scene for an object to follow, what must you do to hide the spline from the render engine?
- What is the menu sequence to add a LookAt Constraint to an object?
- To which object do you apply a LookAt Constraint, the object that looks or the object that is looked upon?
- What is the keyboard command to make the currently selected object in 3DS Max transparent?
- From the experience you should have had by now, what can go wrong if you try to model in a perspective view instead of in an orthographic view?
- Using the gear exercise as an example, explain why you would want Ignore Backfacing turned on or off for a particular operation.
- When modeling a rotating Earth, how do you tell if it is rotating the astrophysically correct direction?
- When you Target Weld one vertex to another, what is the effect on the line segment connecting those vertices?
- What are the three included choices for your render engine in 3DS Max?
- What does the time output group on the Render Setup dialog control?
- Name three parameters you can set after you click the Files button on the Render Setup dialog.
- Explain the relationship between desired dots per inch on your output, desired size of your output, and necessary scene resolution for a 3DS Max scene, using an example, and showing the math.
- What effect must be turned on in a scene to simulate a blurred depth of field? (Depth of field is one of its variations.)
- What is a hierarchy of 3DS Max objects?
- What is the effect of animating an object in a hierarchy?
- Where on the toolbar is the Select and Link button?
- What is Forward Kinematics? How does it relate to hierarchies?
- What is Inverse Kinematics? How does it relate to hierarchies?
- How many toes does a biped object have by default on each foot?
- What are two features a biped object can have that most humans do not?
- What is the visual mnemonic for left and right on a biped?
- What is the purpose of the skin modifier?
- What is the effect of pasting a posture from one leg to another?
- What is the difference between pasting a posture and pasting a pose?
- What is a walk cycle?