CAP 203 - Computer Animation III
Review for Second Test
The following questions are provided to help you study for the second test. Do not expect to see these exact questions on the test.
- A slider control is one kind of manipulator you can create. What are some others?
- What does the Wire Parameters choice in a quad menu allow you to do?
- What toolbar button must be clicked in order to use a manipulator?
In the second follow exercise, what was the problem the author discussed that could happen if your path is not closed?
- What are the three major categories of Standard lights in 3DS Max?
- Several types of lights can be set as target lights. What is the point of having a target?
- What is the property of a light that controls its brightness?
- What are the two cone related settings for a spot light?
- What tool in 3DS Max lets you quickly change the brightness and color of all lights in a scene at once?
- What button in the Material Editor allows you to remove settings for a particular slot?
- What are the four types of lights (based on their purpose) the author describes in her discussion of three point lighting? Which of the light types is typically brighter than the rest?
- Why does the placement of interior lights need to be more precise than the placement of exterior scene lights?
- How do you switch between the scanline renderer and the mental ray renderer? Describe a circumstance that would cause you to choose each one.
- How does a shadow visually establish the location of an object with relation to the floor in a scene?
- How do shadows add to the illusion of three dimensions in a scene?
- What property of a light controls whether a shadow is cast by it?
- What property of an object controls whether a shadow is cast by it?
- What property of an object controls whether a shadow is cast upon it?
- What adjustments would you make to properties of a shadow map to make it create a soft shadow?
- What kind of object can you create in a scene to quickly produce a tree with lots of branches and leaves? What did the author suggest you do to avoid the time that might be needed to render a shadow for such a tree?
- What quick method did the text suggest when you want sharp, detailed shadows?
- What is the author's rule of thumb about the values of multipliers in a scene?
- What kind of 3DS Max lights cast parallel shadows? What kinds of lights do not?
- When you add a map to the Reflection channel, what is its percentage set to by default? What effect does this have?
- What is the effect of setting a higher value for Specular Level for a material? Where is this set?
- What is the effect of setting a higher level for Glossiness for a material?
- The author warns us that using a bitmap for a Reflection channel map is only suitable for objects with a particular physical characteristic. What characteristic?
- What two choices should be made to get the best render results for a reflective object in a scene? What effect do those choices have on the render time of the scene?
- What is an Index of Refraction? Compare the IOR values of air, water, and diamond.