CAP 203 - Computer Animation III
Review for First Test
The following questions are provided to help you study for the first test. Do not expect to see these exact questions on the test.
- In the text's lesson on creating gears, we are cautioned to use gears with particular numbers of teeth. What is a good number of teeth, and why is it good?
- When making gear teeth, we used the Bevel command on polygons. What parameter for this command controls the height of each tooth, and what parameter controls the size of the polygon at the end of the tooth?
- As in the past, sometimes we have opened a 3DS Max start file for this text and some textures did not appear in the scene. Other than file location, what is a reason this can happen?
If you draw a spline in your scene for an object to follow, what must you do to hide the spline from the render engine?
- What is the menu sequence to add a LookAt Constraint to an object?
- To which object do you apply a LookAt Constraint, the object that looks or the object that is looked upon?
- What is the keyboard command to make the currently selected object in 3DS Max transparent?
- From the experience you should have had by now, what can go wrong if you try to model in a perspective view instead of in an orthographic view? (Several people had this problem with gears.)
- Using the gear exercise as an example, explain why you would want Ignore Backfacing turned on or off for a particular operation.
- What are the three major categories of Standard lights in 3DS Max?
- Several types of lights can be set as target lights. What is the point of having a target?
- What is the property of a light that controls its brightness?
- What are the two cone related settings for a spot light?
- What tool in 3DS Max lets you quickly change the brightness and color of all lights in a scene at once?
- What button in the Material Editor allows you to remove settings for a particular slot?
- What are the four types of lights (based on their purpose) the author describes in her discussion of three point lighting? Which of the light types is typically brighter than the rest?
- Why does the placement of interior lights need to be more precise than the placement of exterior scene lights?
- How do you switch between the scanline renderer and the mental ray renderer? Describe a circumstance that would cause you to choose each one.
- How does a shadow visually establish the location of an object with relation to the floor in a scene?
- How do shadows add to the illusion of three dimensions in a scene?
- What property of a light controls whether a shadow is cast by it?
- What property of an object controls whether a shadow is cast by it?
- What property of an object controls whether a shadow is cast upon it?
- What adjustments would you make to properties of a shadow map to make it create a soft shadow?
- What kind of object can you create in a scene to quickly produce a tree with lots of branches and leaves? What did the author suggest you do to avoid the time that might be needed to render a shadow for such a tree?
- What quick method did the text suggest when you want sharp, detailed shadows?
- What is the author's rule of thumb about the values of multipliers in a scene?
- What kind of 3DS Max lights cast parallel shadows? What kinds of lights do not?
- What is a hierarchy of 3DS Max objects?
- What is the effect of animating an object in a hierarchy?
- Where on the toolbar is the Select and Link button?
- How many toes does a biped object have by default on each foot?
- What are two of the features a biped object can have that most humans do not?
- What is the visual mnemonic for left and right on a biped?
- What is the purpose of the skin modifier?
- What is the effect of pasting a posture from one leg to another?
- What is the difference between pasting a posture and pasting a pose?
- What is a walk cycle?
- How can you give a CAT rig a walk cycle programmed by Autodesk?
- What does it mean for a biped object to be in figure mode? What should be done in this mode? What should not be done in this mode?
- What is the equivalent of figure mode for a CAT rig? How can you tell you are in it?
- Why would you change the local weight of a CAT absolute layer? What does reducing the weight to zero allow to happen?
- What would be the point of changing a CAT absolute layer's global weight instead of its local weight?