CAP 203 - Computer Animation III
Review for Second Test
The following questions are provided to help you study for the second test. Do not expect to see these exact questions on the test.
- What are the two modes of the Material Editor in 3DS Max 2012 called? How can you switch between them?
- In the Slate Material Editor, what is the significance of a node connection point being on the right or left side of the node?
- How do you access the properties of a material node in the Slate Material Editor?
How do you apply a UVW Unwrap modifier to only a portion of a model? What would be a reason to do so?
- In the mailbox exercise, the author mentioned that you might have to use the View Align button for the UVW Map modifier. What problem might you have had that this button would solve?
- How do you collapse a modifier stack in 3DS Max? What are you trying to accomplish when you do this?
- Which kind of particle system object was used in the text's tutorial to simulate rain falling near a window?
- Which kind of particle system object was used in the text's tutorial to simulate raindrops appearing on a window?
- We used a much more complex particle system in the lesson on splashing raindrops. What was it?
- What is the purpose of a Path Constraint?
- The first bead tutorial had you add a Manipulator to your scene. What command panel are Manipulators on?
- What does the Wire Parameters command allow you to do with a Manipulator?
- What toolbar button must be clicked to use a Manipulator after it is configured?
- The path constraint exercises showed that an object can be moved completely around a circular path. What problem may exist if the path is an open spline instead of a closed circle?
- How do you switch between the scanline renderer and the mental ray renderer? Describe a circumstance that would cause you to choose each one.
- Which subpanel of the Create panel has the button to create a Daylight object?
- Which property of the Daylight object has to be set to Manual if we want to play with the apparent time of day in the scene?
- The Daylight object has a Horizon parameter. What is the effect of decreasing its value to a small negative setting?
- What did the author of the ocean tutorial mean by "the waves are aliasing"?
- What are two effects of increasing the minimum and maximum values of Sampling Quality in the Render Setup dialog?
- What is the essential difference between setting a viewport to Shaded mode or setting it to Realistic mode?
- What happens to the light in the scene when you change the position of the Daylight object to point toward the top of the scene or toward the horizon? What if it points below the horizon?
- Why does an animator care more about phonemes than about the spelling of words in a script?
- What are the only kinds of audio files that can be added as a soundtrack to a 3DS Max scene?
- Where do you add a sound file for a 3DS Max scene?
- How can you tell how many frames the sound file actually takes up?
- How do you calculate how many frames the scene should have, to use the entire sound file?