CIS 1110A: Computer Operating Systems and Maintenance
Review for the First 8 Weeks
- What is difference between hardware and software? What about
- What is a CPU?
- What is the difference between an internal device and an
- Name two input devices and two output devices.
- What are some common internal components of a computer? What
are they for?
- What is the purpose of a BIOS chip?
- What is an operating system? How is it different from an
- What are memory addresses?
- What are some duties of an operating system?
- What are the three basic types of system boards discussed in
- Which components of a system board can commonly be upgraded?
- Why is the choice of system board a choice that dictates
several other choices?
- What brand of CPUs use an LGA? What does that mean? What
brand uses PGA?
- What is a chipset?
- What is overclocking, and why is it a bad idea?
- Name some common expansion buses.
- Which expansion slots have lanes? How do you tell how many
lanes one has?
- Describe the relationship between volts, amps, and ohms in a
- What is a riser card? Why might you use one?
- Describe USB A, USB B, and USB C connectors.
- What can UEFI do that BIOS could not? When was UEFI first
- What would you expect to happen to lithography measurements
for processors as time goes by? What systems in the computer
would have to improve when that happens?
- What are the three classic ways to restart a Windows computer?
Which avoids most steps of a startup?
- What is the difference between single channeling RAM and
triple channeling RAM? What would make them act the same?
- How many volts must be in an electrostatic discharge to feel
- What are two classic computer repair situations in which you
should avoid being grounded?
- What are Crossfire support and SLI support? What components
require them, and what component must provide them?
- What does a single beep during boot generally mean?
- What might a user do that could impair the intended cooling
inside a computer?
- What advice is offered about expansion slots, regarding
keeping the computer cool?
- What might you do to make sure you are selecting the correct
RAM to upgrade a computer?
- What do you do if RAM you have just installed is not
recognized by the computer?
- What can you do to check the amount of RAM a computer has,
regardless of the operating system? What can you do if it is
running a recent version of Windows?
- Hard drives have different characteristics. When shopping for
a new one, what features do you have to match with other
equipment in your computer?
- What is the difference between a PATA and a SATA connection?
- What RAID strategy provides faster access, but no fault
tolerance? What does RAID stand for?
- Why would you want to have an SD card slot in your computer?
What other devices often use them?
- What is the difference between SATA and eSATA?
- Compare SATA data rates to PATA data rates.
- Revision: What is the difference between IMEI and IMSI?
- I was connecting an additional monitor to my computer this
week. It had one VGA port, one DisplayPort port, and one DVI-I
port. Which one would I eliminate as a good choice? In the video
I posted on this subject, which one did Linus like, and why?
- How does Device Manager indicate devices that are having
- You start your computer and hear a series of beep. What should
you do to interpret them?
- Define several of the three letter acronyms (TLAs) the book
mentioned about network classification.
- What are the three main types of "cable" media used for
networks? Which is most likely to be used for a network inside a
home? How about connecting that network to the Internet?
- What is the order of UTP wires when connecting them to an
RJ-45 plug according to the TIA/EIA 568B standard?
- What are the IEEE 802.11 standards about? Name three, and say
why each is an improvement over a previous one.
- What portion of Windows 10 is typically used to set up a local
- Explain why DHCP assigns a subnet mask to devices along with
an IP address. Why does each device need both?
- What is the feature that allows device on a private addressed
network to communicate over the Internet?