CIS 2210 - Database Management and Design
Review for First Test
The following questions are provided to help you study for
the first test. Do not expect to see these exact questions on the test.
- What is the difference between data and information?
- What are some advantages to using a DBMS based database? What are
- What is unstructured data? Where is it likely to be found?
What is structured data? Where is is likely to be found?
What is semistructured data?
- What is an entity, with respect to databases?
- What is an instance, and how is it related to an entity?
- What are other names for attributes? What are they, generally?
- What is a general name for most files that are in a relational database?
- What are structural dependence and independence? Why do you want to
have one of them?
- What are the three kinds of anomalies mentioned in chapter 1?
- Where is information about the objects in a database kept?
- How are relationships characterized/quantized?
- How is this information shown in an ERD? How does an ERD show the
minimum and maximum possibilities in a relationship?
- What do we call a rule that controls the kind of data that is allowed
to go in a given field?
- What are business rules?
- When studying the business rules of a company, what will the nouns
and verbs usually correspond to?
- What is the difference between the DDL and the DML of a DBMS?
- What does it mean if we say that A is functionally dependent on B?
What does it mean if we say that A functionally determines B?
- What is entity integrity?
- What is referential integrity?
- What is a natural join?
What is an inner join?
How is an outer join different from an inner join?
- What is an index?
- What is the index that a DBMS will probably create by default?