CIS 331: Database Management Using SQL
Review for First Test
- What do your texts list as some problems with spreadsheets? Why is
a DBMS preferable?
- What other words are used as synonyms for "entity"?
- What is a relationship?
- What are the differences one-to-one, one-to-many, and many-to-one
- What is the general term for the data structure in which spreadsheets
and DBMSs both store data?
- Can a database store information about multiple types of entities?
If so, how?
- How are relationships implemented in a relational database?
- What do you call the process of creating the structure of a database?
- What are integrity constraints? Give an example.
- What is meant by data independence?
- What makes a database relational?
- What is an attribute? What are some other terms that mean the same
- How are attributes generally arranged in a table?
- What do rows generally represent in a table?
- What uniquely identifies each row in a table?
- What are the rules for calling a table a relation?
- What term is used for a relation that does not meet one of the tests
of a relation?
- What do we mean by the intersection of two tables? What is the union
of two tables?
- Give an example of SQL having a free-format syntax.
- How must commands end in MySQL?
- What key can you press in the SSH client to scroll through previous
- What are the data types listed in the text that are commonly used
- What SQL command is used to make an empty table?
- What SQL commmand is used to add data to tables?
- How do you prevent NULL characters from being allowed in particular
- What is a NULL value?
- What SQL command is used to display the structure of a table, not
the data in it?
- What notation is used to refer to the same column in different tables?
- What does the phrase "single-valued" mean, with regard
to data tables?
- What is the acronym for a query method that allows you to fill in
forms to create queries?
- What wildcard is used in MySQL to stand for all fields?
- How do you phrase an SQL command in order to see all rows in a table?
- How are Boolean operators used in SQL?
- When sorting the results of a query, what do we call the column that
we do the first sort on? What do we call the second column we sort on?
- What do you call a query that changes data?
- What SQL command is used to erase a data table?
- What kind of algebra is described in the text? Is it identical to
- What is a query?
- What is an example of an optional clause to the SELECT command?
- Which clause of the SELECT command names the fields to be shown? Which
clause names the table?
- What are the comparison operators? What are their meanings?
- Is SQL case sensitive? What aspect to our classroom environment is
- What is the purpose of the NOT operator?
- In MySQL, what is the wildcard character that may be used with the
LIKE operator? What is its purpose?
- What SQL command is used to sort results of a query?
- What do you do to change an SQL sort command to work in descending
- What are the aggregate functions in SQL? Which one does not require
a numeric field to work?
- What are nested queries? In what order are they evaluated?