ITS 3250 - Securing Systems
Week 12: Network Security Checklist
This lesson explores a new article from a recommeded site.
This week, I have been prowling through the list of tech news
sites from last week. The most promising item I found was a document
recommended by Mr. Brown:
I have downloaded a copy of it and posted it to this week's
in Blackboard. Yes, it is sponsored by a vendor, and it appears on
their web site, but that doesn't make it bad or untrue. We can start by
looking at this document in class, but to make this assignment more
relevant to the people who can't be here this week or next, I will make
this a two week assignment, part of which will be done on a discussion
- Form the long hated construct, a Baker workgroup. There
must be at least two of you in each group.
- Use the discussion board to to communicate with each other,
and me, about the content of this set of recommendations. Participate,
or no points on this part.
- Try them out on your choice of virtual machines. What makes
sense and what doesn't?
- Fine tune some of the recommendations based on your
experience or experiments with them.
- Report back to the class (and to me) by week 14: what did
you do, what did you find out, what do you recommend? This will be
practical exercise 6, and it will also qualify for the 80 points for
the SOP assignment we did under a different allocation.