LUX 263 - Linux System Administration III
Review for First Test
The following questions are provided to help you study for
the first test. Do not expect to see these exact questions on the test.
- What is the relationship between Fedora, RHEL, and CentOS?
- Which of the three versions of Fedora images is potentially useful
as one that you can run directly from a memory stick?
- What is the character called that separates folders in a Linux pathname?
- What is a partition?
- What must be true of a partition for us to be able to boot from it?
How many partitions of that type can a single hard drive have?
- How does a partition become part of your file system?
- What is a mount point, from the perspective of a file system tree?
- What do we expect to find in the /dev folder?
- Why do we use links to files?
- What is the difference between a hard link and a symbolic link?
- What is the purpose of the fsck command?
- The rmdir command is used to delete directories. What else can you
use to do that?
- Name three text editors that you may hope to find on your Linux system.
- What are the functions of the su and the sudo commands?
- How do you assign a user to a group?
- crontab can mean three different (but related) things. What are they?
- What is the name of the cron daemon? What is its purpose? Why do
we call it a daemon?
- How many fields are in a system crontab command?
- How would we format a crontab command to run at 7:45 PM, on Thursday
of each week?
- How would we format a crontab command to run three times in a particular
hour, on Saturdays?
- What is the point of having anacron if we already have cron?
- How many fields are in an anacron command? What do they stand for?
- What is 0anacron?