LUX 263 - Linux System Administration III
Review for the Second Test
The following questions are provided to help you study for the second
test. Do not expect to see these exact questions on the test.
- What is purpose of running gnome-boxes?
- What benefit does QEMU/KVM offer that you don't find in most virtual
- Why would you run a virtual Linux box on a machine that already runs
- What is the difference between a cloud computing virtual solution
and one you run on your local hardware?
- What non-virtual solution is being used in our classroom?
- Which cloud solution was tried out in an assignment? What kind of
problem did several students have with it?
- What is NIS, with regard to Linux services?
- What is a major security issue with NIS?
- What was Sun's response to issues with NIS?
- What are NIS maps?
- What is an NIS domain? What must exist to make one?
- Name four of the local files that can be used by NIS as source files.
In what local folder are they typically stored?
- What is the two letter prefix to most command associated with NIS?
Why is this true?
- What is LDAP? What protocol is it based on?
- What is the basic unit of information in an LDAP directory?
- What is it about NIS maps that would make you need more than one for
- What is the Samba service for, with regard to Linux users?
- What daemons need to be run for Samba to function?
- What protocol replaces SMB in the Samba service?
- What does a Windows user need to access a Samba share?
- What is the utility that is used to create a Samba password?
- What are some of the common sections of the smb.conf file, mentioned
in the text and the two web sites linked in the class notes?
- How can a Windows user gain access to a Samba share after permission
has been granted?
- Why should a Linux user not use smbclient? What should be done instead?