NET 121b: Essentials of Networking
Review for First Test, Chapters 1-5
- What are two meanings of the word "protocol"?
- What are the main characteristics of centralized computing?
- What are the main characteristics of distributed computing?
- What is a host?
- How is a client/server network different from a peer-to-peer network?
- What are the four physical topologies described in your text? You
should be able to draw a simple example of each type.
- Which topology is the easiest to reconfigure? What kind of medium
is typically used for it?
- What is a network operating system? Give an example from a major vendor.
- What are the meaning of the terms LAN, MAN, and WAN?
- What are some typical services provided on networks?
- What is the OSI model? What organization created it?
- What are the names of the seven layers of the OSI model? How are they
normally arranged in a chart?
- What is a packet? How does a packet travel with respect to the seven
layers, when a client makes a request?
- How are headers added to packets? How are they removed?
- What is the main purpose of each of these protocols: HTTP, FTP, SMTP?
- What is a NIC? Why would you want one? How can you connect to a network
if you don't have one?
- What kind of address is associated with a NIC? What layer of the OSI
model does this place a NIC on?
- What is an IRQ? What is a DMA channel? Why would a new card installed
on a computer need an I/O address assigned?
- What are two paths to the properties of a NIC on a Windows XP computer?
- What is a network protocol?
- What is the IEEE? What series of protocols and methods devised by
the IEEE relate to networks?
- What is a gateway? Why could a gateway exist almost anywhere in a
- What is a token? Why are tokens passed?
- What is contention? What IEEE standards would address contention?
- What medium is used in an FDDI network? What is a characteristic of
a network that would make FDDI a good choice for it?
- Name three protocols that would be associated with the Transport layer.
Why do they belong on this layer?
- Name three protocols that would be associated with WANs.
- Name three protocols that would be associated with security on networks.
- Which layer of the OSI model is associated with encryption?
- What encryption scheme uses two keys: one that is given out to customers,
and one that is closely guarded by a vendor?
- What is the difference between WEP and WPA on wireless networks? Which
would be expected to offer better security?
- Networks typically use bandwidth one of two ways. What are they, and
what is the major difference between them?
- Which OSI layer offers three methods of dialog control? What are
the three methods?
- Give an example of each of the three methods in the question above.
- What is attenuation? Why is it important in networks?
- What is EMI? Give an example of how it might be encountered in a network
- Name the two major varieties of twisted pair cable. What is the difference
between them? Which is more common?
- What kind of connectors are most often used for UTP cable?
- What kind of connectors are most often used for thin coaxial cable?
- How is the conductor in fiber optic cable different from coaxial
cable or UTP cable?
- What is a concentrator? What network topology supports the use of
- Wireless networks are supported by what IEEE standard?
- What could be a likely cause of interference with Wi-Fi service in
a typical home? What other wireless technology uses the same frequency
as many Wi-Fi devices?